Ad Code

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

taurus 357 7-shot

Taurus 357 7-shot - Thanks for joining us for another Wheelgun Wednesday at TFB where we cover all things revolvers. This week we're looking at the Taurus 66, which has a satisfying 7-round capacity and is chambered in .357 Magnum. The Taurus Model 66 was first introduced in 1978 as a six-shot revolver and gained a plus-one capacity in 1999.

The Taurus Model 66 is available with either a 4" or 6" barrel and a choice of finishes such as matte stainless steel or matte oxide. As you've probably noticed by now, I'm reviewing the 4-inch model, which comes in matte stainless steel. I've always been a fan of 4" barrels on revolvers because it's a nice mix of quick holster retrieval, well balanced and still legal to hunt in my state.

Taurus 357 7-shot

Taurus 357 7-shot

The Taurus 66 definitely had great balance and the finish seemed quite durable. When Taurus packaged the Model 66, it included a protective rubber sleeve over the adjustable visor for portability, which seems like a thoughtful touch. The ramped front sight came with a red translucent insert that gets brighter in appropriate light conditions, but even in the absence of sunlight the red insert contrasts the black front sight enough to be effective.

Taurus 605 Standard 357 Mag 2\

The square rubber grips that came with the Taurus 66 fit my hand fairly well, and the shallow finger grooves didn't bother me, and they didn't require extra adjustment time every time. The grips were also relatively thin and wrapped around the back strap, which should provide better hand cushioning during recoil. I was surprised to see that the grips had metal parts to maintain rigidity.

After dry firing it a few times, I was a bit concerned because the trigger was noticeably harsher compared to the excellent Taurus 605 trigger I tested last month. More on the trigger in a moment.

Despite the heavier trigger, I was curious to see if it could really affect accuracy in practice. It took a little getting used to, but it broke consistently every time and even seemed to even out over time. Most of the trigger pull is really smooth until the pressure is reached. At this point it feels like something is grabbing the trigger, but holding the aim point isn't difficult and it doesn't require much more pressure to work through. The trigger then breaks cleanly. Once the Taurus 66's trigger harshness settled down, I really started to like it, although the short holding portion was close to breaking. Overall, it's not the best trigger I've ever used, but far from the worst (

In the photo below you can see my three-shot group, with Federal's .357 Magnum 180 grain load highlighted in blue and Ammo Incorporated's 125 grain .38 Special being fired in rapid succession in orange. I've also run the rest of the 158 grain .357 Mag half-cutter through the Model 66 with no problems.

Taurus Gun Hi Res Stock Photography And Images

I also spent some time at the 50 yard line with the .38 Special and as I entered my grip I had a blast that rang my MK Machining steel target.

Once I was confident that I could shoot the Taurus 66, I took it on our walks and carried it in the Bianchi UM84R universal revolver holster I reviewed, which was perfect for trudging through the woods and fields near us . I carried Hornady's Critical Duty .357 Magnum while walking and definitely didn't feel underrated. The matte stainless steel surface wiped off easily every time I put it in a damp place to take photos.

The Taurus 66 isn't the prettiest looking revolver, but its overall aesthetic gives it the impression of being built in a harsh and dirty environment, all of which are pleasing to the eye in their own way. I was glad the trigger evened out with use and dry firing, but I was surprised he needed it at all after handling the Taurus 605. I'm never a fan of internal locks, but there doesn't seem to be much information out there. There is a problem with the bull's internal ban and I never noticed it during the evaluation. If you have any problems, please let us know in the comment section.

Taurus 357 7-shot

The Taurus 66 I tested was absolutely reliable and ate every lap I did with it. I particularly liked the seven-round capacity, although I didn't have speedloaders for that, and I'd definitely recommend the Taurus 66. The Model 66 is listed on Taurususa.com for $569.92, which is fairly affordable for a workhorse revolver. .

Taurus 66 Revolver 357 Mag 4 Barrel 7 Round Blued Black

What do you think of the Taurus Model 66? If you've used one before, what's your experience?

We strive to find, research and recommend the best products. We earn commissions on purchases you make through the reseller links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.

Doug has been a firearms enthusiast since he was 16 after being allowed to shoot with a friend. Since then he has brought many others to the field for the first time. He is a husband, father, grandfather, policeman, outdoorsman, artist and history student. Doug has been a TFB reader since the beginning and is happy to contribute. Doug can be reached at battleshipgrey61 AT gmail.com or battleshipgrey61 on Instagram.

Taurus tracker 357 accessories, taurus protector 357, taurus 357 66, taurus 357 7 shot 4 inch barrel, taurus 357 magnum holster, taurus 357 605 holster, taurus 357 revolver holster, 357 taurus brasil, taurus 357 tracker holster, taurus 357 holster, 8 shot taurus 357, taurus 357 accessories

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Recent Comments

Ad Code